Photo shows how labor intensive old-time logging was. No mechanization to do the work of moving that big log. It was manpower, or horses only, in the old days.
This photo of a logging flume shows one way of transporting logs, on water in a wooden trough or flume.
This logging crew is taking a break to have their picture taken. The late Barney Stone identified himself as the one sitting atop the log deck. His father, Elmer Stone, is the man in the black hat in front with his back to the camera. He was the foreman for Victor Pierson, and the camp was at the Prater Halfway House near Big Creek.
This photo, donated by Chuck Peterson, shows clearly what a logging chute looked like—made from two logs flattened on top and laid side by side. Chutes were greased with a stick or broom handle so horses could easily move the logs down it.
Charles W. Beardmore’s family and friends took a great interest in his logging business, often visiting his jobs and having photos taken. This is one of those snapshots.
This well-known photograph was taken by C. W. Herr, a Priest River businessman who took many historic photos of the old days. Horses were never asked to move a load like this 70-ton sleigh load; it was for “show,” (and photos.) This load was snapped at Dalkena Lumber’s Camp No. 7 on Saddler Creek at Priest River about 1923. On top of the load stand Edith Binkley (Rodney) and Nellie Specht Shackleton. Those at bottom include Evelyn and Clover Ragan. John Specht, Harvey Wright, Stanley Jones, Phil Naccarato, Sid Ragan, Jess Johnson (behind). Left to right from the Ragan girls are Hueston Babcock, Ted Golden, Jim Brady, Jim Wheeler, and two unknown individuals.
The late Ivan Painter donated this photo, dated to before 1915, of the Fidelity Lumber Company’s horse barn. The first man on the left is Carl Painter, Ivan’s father, then Chester Painter, Ivan’s uncle, then a man named McIntire (sp.?), and on far right end, Billy Smith. Behind them, standing in the doorway, the big man on the left, is Ivan’s grandfather, Chester Painter, who was in charge of the horse barn until about 1928. The use of horses was discontinued about 1935 when Diamond Match took over the business.
These men are sorting logs at the Sorting Gaps on the Pend Oreille River, just below the mouth of the Priest River. Each log that went into the log drives was stamped as to which company it belonged to. According to the late Hallie Griswold, the stamp was driven in on the cut ends with a sledge hammer, so deeply that an inch or two could be sawed off and the mark would still show. Logs were also stamped on the bark, which could slip off, and each also bore a Forest Service mark if it was FS timber. The Beardmore stamp was VIV (for Charlie’s daughter Vivienne), Humbird’s was a big H, Fidelity’s an F, Dalkena’s a D, and Panhandle’s an F. Photo came originally from Michele Wylie, Hallie’s granddaughter.